- This event has passed.
Single Mom Childbirth & Baby Care Class
May 9, 2018 @ 6:30 pm - 9:30 pm
Who it’s for: Single Moms or women whose partner is not available for birth, our “Solo Moms”. This class is not for couples. But, Moms may bring whoever will be a support person at the birth of their baby.
Details: This three-week course is to help single mom or “solo” moms enter into motherhood with confidence. Course topics include:
1st Week – Childbirth Class
- Pregnancy changes before and during labor and, Laboring at home when in Early Labor
- Routine hospital procedures for most DC Area Hospitals
- Discussing various Medical pain relief options: epidurals and narcotics
- Review Cesarean Procedures in most hospitals
2nd Week – Comfort Measures and Relaxation Techniques
- Practicing Comfort measures: how to cope with contractions through breathing and relaxation
- Practicing various birth and pushing techniques
- How to recover during the postpartum period
- Mom’s support person should attend to become familiar with comfort measures.
3rd Week – Baby Care and Breastfeeding Basics
- Procedures following the baby’s birth
- Understanding normal newborn characteristics
- Bathing, diapering, burping, holding, and swaddling
- Learn breastfeeding techniques for successful latching
Fee: $170 for each Mom.