- This event has passed.
Single Mom’s Childbirth and Baby Class
February 23, 2017 @ 6:30 pm - 9:30 pm
Single Moms Childbirth and Baby Class
Who it’s for: Single Moms or women whose partner is not available for birth, our “Solo Moms”. This class is not for couples. But, Moms may bring whoever will be a support person at the birth of their baby.
Details: This three-week course is to help single mom or “solo” moms enter into motherhood with confidence. Course topics include:
1st Week – Childbirth Class
• Pregnancy changes before and during labor and, Laboring at home when in Early Labor
• Routine hospital procedures for most DC Area Hospitals
• Discussing various Medical pain relief options: epidurals and narcotics
• Review Cesarean Procedures in most hospitals
2nd Week – Comfort Measures and Relaxation Techniques
• Practicing Comfort measures: how to cope with contractions through breathing and relaxation
• Practicing various birth and pushing techniques
• How to recover during the postpartum period
• Mom’s support person should attend to become familiar with comfort measures.
3rd Week – Baby Care and Breastfeeding Basics
• Procedures following the baby’s birth
• Understanding normal newborn characteristics
• Bathing, diapering, burping, holding, and swaddling
• Learn breastfeeding techniques for successful latching
Fee: $170 for each Mom.